Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
It was Barack Obama's Inauguration today. It has been a very trying day. To lift my spirits, I watched Ronald Reagan's Inauguration Address instead. The words that he spoke in 1981 still apply to us today. Here are some of the wise passages from his speech.
- "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price."
- "It is my intention to curb the size and influence of the federal establishment and to demand recognition of the distinction between the powers granted to the federal government and those reserved to the states or to the people. All of us need to be reminded that the federal government did not create the states; the states created the federal government.Now, so there will be no misunderstanding, it's not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work--work with us, not over us; to stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it."
- "We have every right to dream heroic dreams. Those who say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look. You can see heroes every day going in and out of factory gates. Others, a handful in number, produce enough food to feed all of us and then the world beyond. You meet heroes across a counter, and they're on both sides of that counter. There are entrepreneurs with faith in themselves and faith in an idea who create new jobs, new wealth and opportunity. They're individuals and families whose taxes support the government and whose voluntary gifts support church, charity, culture, art, and education. Their patriotism is quiet, but deep. Their values sustain our national life. Now, I have used the words "they" and "their" in speaking of these heroes. I could say "you" and "your," because I'm addressing the heroes of whom I speak--you, the citizens of this blessed land. Your dreams, your hopes, your goals are going to be the dreams, the hopes, and the goals of this administration, so help me God."
Here are some quotes from President Reagan
- "Don't be afraid to see what you see." -Ronald Reagan
- "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" -Ronald Reagan
- "Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit." -Ronald Reagan
- "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." -Ronald Reagan
- "I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life." -Ronald Reagan
- "Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book." -Ronald Reagan
- "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan
- "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan
- (one of my favorites) "To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone (Obama) will make things right is to go feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will." -Ronald Reagan
- "I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." -Ronald Reagan
- "A nation without borders is not a nation" -Ronald Reagan
I am on the right scale of the spectrum when it comes to politics. I am very conservative. Anyone who knows the history of our government, would never vote to enlarge it. I will not vote for the murder of innocent souls in a mother's womb, I will keep my money, I will keep the right to pledge to my God, I will keep the right to bear arms, I will work hard for my money and choose for myself how to spend it, I will keep my freedom! Obama can keep his "CHANGE"