Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Visually Greedy

What constitutes great personal style? We tend to think that to achieve great personal style someone must have perfect clarity about who they are and what they stand for. I disagree. I think conflict about who you are often leads to ever greater expression. That is why young people, or the young at heart are those that inspire or move fashion forward. They are struggling to find themselves; "Am I a rocker?" A Jock? Or a little bit of both?" These contradictions produce the most interesting looks. I think most of us are stylish hermit crabs, we change our outershell to camouflage our way into certain social positions. We 'dress the part'. When you accept this idea, people/fashion watching becomes less about what that person is wearing and more about the elements of the look can mean to your own personal style. In a way, being visually greedy allows you to separate the personality from the 'look' and puts the pressure on you to figure out how to harness that stimulus instead of just grading others as 'pass' or 'fail'.

3 comments:

Haley Sue said...

I like your perspective and definitely agree. I think when we're young we go through style like soap. You experiment with what you like to see, smell, and feel--eventually you find what is you and it's perfect. Love you blog :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes and yes. And that is also exactly how I feel about decorating my home...... Man Lizzie, its like you're pretty AND smart :)

dnwu said...

I agree you!Thanks for your share! I have learned a lot. Nike Air Rift puma chaussures hommes thank you ,I have learned a lot.Air Jordan Shoesjeans diesel enjoy a high quality of life,you are welcomed to the following worlds:cheap cell phones wholesale Thanks for your share! I like it very much!cheap ed hardy thank you ,I have learned a lot.Affliction Jeans Thanks for your share! I like it very much!Ed Hardy clothing thank you ,I have learned a lot.cheap ugg bootsRalph Lauren Thanks for your share! I like it very much!Tennis Racquet Shop thank you ,I have learned a lot.