Sunday, August 16, 2009

Scissor hands for Edward

One of my favorite movies of all time would have to be Edward Scissorhands. It is a moody and bizarre modern day fairytale of a misunderstood alienated artist. Here you have a character who wants to touch but can't, who is both creative and destructive, and I think those two contradictions can create a kind of ambivalence. The manifestation of Edward Scissorhands probably comes to the surface to teenagers because it is a very teenage thing. It has to do with relationships. Sometimes I feel I can't communicate my feelings. The image of Edward is a feeling that your image and how people perceive you are at odds with what's inside you. I remember growing up and feeling that there is a lot of room for acceptance. You are taught at a very early age to conform to certain things. It's a situation that is very prevalent and which starts from day one at school: this person is smart, this person is not smart, this person is weird, this person is normal. From day one you are categorized. I don't know why people do it because it seems to me that nobody would like it done to them. It's kind of frustrating and sad at the same time, because somebody is saying you're this and somehow it's removed from you. And the more quiet somebody is, or the more different people feel you are, the more they like to do it. 

No comments: